Monday 23 April 2007

Monday 23rd April

Sallow 'fluff'

Dark clouds loomed heavily to the west as I set out this morning, but the sun was still strong as I approached the Pea Field and heard the scratchy song of a Whitethroat - first for my walk in this year. It showed briefly, bellowing it's throat outwards before disappearing quickly into the brambles. 5x Blackcaps were seen and at least 3x Chiffchaffs called. Yellowhammers stood out as markers along the hedgerow with up to 5 males seen. The Swallows hadn't returned to the telegraph poles at the bottom of Kiln Lane, but sunshine and heat from the weekend had brought on the leaves on the oak trees - the path towards Gallagher's Gallop was dappled for the first time this year.

It started to rain as I made a quick trip to Ditton Quarry at lunchtime, but still warm and humid though. 3x Common Lizards were seen basking but were obvioulsy warmed up enough to scuttle off when i got my camera out! 1x Whitethroat, 2x Blackcap and 3xChiffChaff were all heard/seen, a Green Woodpecker yaffled somewhere in the distance and charm of Goldfinch added their liquid song to the mix. Speckled Wood and a pristine Red Admiral were the only butterflies seen. The Cowslips on the banks of the Quarry were very showy.

1 comment:

Dark Aspie said...

beautiful! my favourite plant. i just have a small clump in my garden sadly.