Friday 11 May 2007

Friday 11th May


The report of a large movement of Swifts over the French coast yesterday manifested itself in the appearance of 7+ Swifts over the High Street, East Malling as I drove into work this morning....the globe still works! A walk to the usual Spotted Flycatcher haunts is needed this weekend I think!

A Sparrowhawk floated over the glasshouse cold-store as I took delivery of some plants at 09:30, and a new influx of House Martins were making use of last year's nest under the eaves of the caretaker's house.

The Lesser Whitethroat was heard calling in Ditton Quarry again at lunchtime, along with all the other usual suspects. My second Sparrowhawk (female) of the day swooped down on to something on the scrub area, but noticed me and took off again almost immediately -I searched the ground but couldn't find what it was after. 7x Common Lizard in 2 locations were sluggish in the strong SW wind which also buffeted 3x Common Blue and 1x Peacock along. A Cuckoo called in the distance, an uncommon sound in the quarry, although I suspect it may have been calling from the Research Station land.

Collecting crates this afternoon I came across a Blackbird's nest that had been made, precariously, in the bottom of a crate. I could hear the alarm call of a Blackbird in the distance so retreated as soon as I had taken a photo.

No comments: