Monday 7 April 2008

Thursday 3rd April 2008

More Chiffchaffs on the way into walk by Gallagher's Gallop, and 6+ Bullfinches "seeping" away in the blackthorn.

It was the monthly East Malling Research Running Club race at lunchtime, and with a lead to defend I set of across the farmland towards Oaken Wood, Barming. I was pleased to see 2x Peacock and 3x Comma butterflies en route and took much pleasure in telling Mike Easterbrook, the county recorder, as I overtook somewhere around the 3.5 mile mark! However, my boss, who was on the longer 5.5 mile route along North Pole Road, found both Mike and I as soon as he'd finished to tell us a large 'black butterfly with white wing borders had flown across his path...he'd never seen this butterfly before...what was it? We double checked it wasn't April 1st, before asking him to take a look at the pinned down butterfly collection housed at the research station. He identified it as a Camberwell Beauty! Unfortunately I was due in a meeting at 2pm, but Mike + ANother went to the site, and despite extensive scouring and turning up numerous Peacocks and Commas the Beauty was nowhere to be found.

A call from Ross informed me that a drake Mandarin Duck had appeared at the lake at Bradbourne House, so leaving early I managed to relocate the duck (extremley timid hence no photo) but failed to find the butterfly!

No comments: