Saturday 16 January 2010

Friday 15th January


The big thaw has set in and much of the snow from Wednesday and before was thawing quickly. The Redpolls in South Street didn't show this morning - the thaw probably opening up other feeding opportunities. However a Pied Wagtail flew from the roof of The Bull pub, the first I'd seen in Barming since November! A dead Blue Tit was found by the water tower off North Street, it was still warm, not sure if it had finally succumbed to the cold? Some snow remained along the path by Gallagher's gallop and I was uprised to see Badger tracks - they're often evident on the research land but I never seen any signs of Badger on this part of the patch. Nice find, nothing else out of the ordinary on the way in. Later my boss told me he'd had 20+ Lapwing in a field near Bradbourne House and a couple of Yellowhammers (which ahve been noticeable by their abscence this winter).

No comments: