Friday 1 January 2010

Friday 1st January

All attention was on the garden again (in Barming) - my wife was working and the kids wanted to stay around home today so I found myself staring out the window (hoping for Hawfinch). We'd made some fat balls yesterday and I was interested to see what would be th first to feed on them. A Coal Tit! This is a bit of a garden Mega for me, I managed a poor record shot of this very smart and unexpected bird as it moved onto the seed feeders - a good start for 2010. I'll be looking out for it tomorrow and hopefully get some better pics. Later we visted the orchards, masses of Redwings (300+) and Fieldfares, and a quick scan of the South Street Silver Birch showed up 6+ Redpoll, all looked like Lesser to me.

2 comments:

Ken. said...

Hi Adam.
What I wouldn't give to have a Coal Tit feeding in my garden. It just goes to show you never know what will turn up, do you. Also what a sight all the Redwings must have been. Not a bad day considering, Adam.

Greenie said...

Adam ,
Every time you post , I hope it will be Waxwings , but pleased for you to get the Coal Tit .
As no doubt you will find , they are hard to get good shots off , because they never stay on the feeder for any lenght of time , just in , grab a seed and away .