Saturday 19 January 2013

Saturday 19th January 2013


Not quite the snowstorm the kids expected - you can almost see the disappointment as they walk away from  the 'green' sledging slope (that 'hunch' reminds me of the post-match scenes outside the Molineux!).  I was lucky again to see three Hawfinches briefly at 08:00 in St Margaret's churchyard, Barming sitting on their own in the large ash tree.  The fallow field to the north of Church Lane was alive with birds as I walked back home, and it was good to see a large flocks of Meadow Pipits (28+), Linnets (50+) along with 3 Skylarks.  Fieldfares and Redwings were constantly on the move overhead - a conservative count of 120 Fieldfare over on the short walk back to South Street.  


I popped back out to the churchyard with my lads later and had views of a single Hawfinch on and off from 09:45 until around 11:00 when it flew off low west, just as a couple of birders turned up in the car park.  I spent the next 30 minutes or so looking for it with them and another couple as it looked like it had dropped into one of the yews and so was hopeful it would reappear, but we'd no luck by the time I left, I just hope the birders who I left behind were successful in seeing it.



No comments: