Monday 17 August 2009

Monday 17th June

Back to Ditton Quarry at lunchtime, probably the first time in 3 months! Lots of Common Blue and a smattering of Gatekeepers and Painted Ladies. The south-west corner of the quarry was alive with warblers, Chiffchaffs mostly but good numbers of Common Whitethroats, mostly juveniles. On the way back to work I caught sight of a bird looping out of an elderberry bush, stopping in my tracks I was delighted to see a Spotted Flycatcher darting around the bush - my first for the Quarry.

Cycling home I saw a the Little Owl hunched up in the girders of Kiln Barn Farm barn and then newar tghe water tower (just north of North Street, Barming) I heard a call I faintly recognised, but wasn'y 100% with. It sounded like a very loud Bullfinch, not that Bullfinches are ever very loud. Creeping through the undergrowth I caught sight of what looked like a cross between a juv Common Rosefinch and a Corn Bunting! Of course it was a juv Bullfinch, entirely grey-brown unlike it's distinctively marked , and colourful, parents and so heavy-billed. Good to see they've bred successfully again this year.

Noticed this Convolvulus flower in the orchards this evening, presumably munched on when still in bud.

2 comments:

Greenie said...

Adam ,
So it's Autumn Lady's-tresses and Silver Spotted Skippers all round then .
Good to hear that the bullfinches were successful .

Warren Baker said...

Hi Adam,
Juv. Bullfinch have had me going more than once!