Friday 18 December 2009

Friday 18th December

I didn't even attempt to get into work this morning after struggling to get home from East Malling at 23:00 last night. Barming was plastered with 4.5 - 6 inches of snow and Barming School was closed (one of 1,500 around the country). I started the day looking for the 'Mealy' Redpoll at the top of South Street, Barming again this morning, no sign, but all attention was soon turned to the nearby A26 which had come to a standstill - rush hour as you rarely see it!

Two skiers and three snowboarders past me as I walked down the main road towards Maidstone. As one might have expected lots of birds were seeking out any food they could find; 3x Dunnocks pecked at the snow-laden flower beds and feeders in the garden and House Sparrows followed my every move through the kitchen window as I tucked into my morning toast.

The day was spent sledging, snow ball fighting and snow man building. I visited the church and then orchards in Barming; masses of Fieldfares, Redwings, Chaffinches, small flocks of Goldfinches, 4x Skylark over South Street, vibrant Green Woodpeckers, Sparrowhawk and best of all a flock of +40 Lapwings over east.

3 comments:

Greenie said...

Adam ,
Like the last shot of the orchard .
Still waiting for the 'W' word .

Warren Baker said...

I agree with greenie on the orchard shot Adam, very nice.

No bramblings around anywhere it seems

Adam said...

Hi Fellas, thanks for comments. Brambling or Waxwing would be very welcome, been keeping both in mind while wondering around those frosty/snowy orchards! Unconfirmed report of a Brambling on the Research Station last week but I've not seen it yet. Warren I need some of your Siskins - not seen one yet this winter!

Ad