Thursday 18 March 2010

Wednesday 17th March

Over to Ditton Quarry, the first visit for a few weeks.  I was hoping to my first Chiffchaff of the year, and Ditton with it's extensive shrubby areas has been reliable in the past.  No sign or sound.  A couple of Bullfinches lisped in the elders, a Kestrel hovered in the SW corner and Goldfinches and Greenfinches sang and displayed from almost every tree!  I noticed a number of 'pellets' around the site - presumably Kestrel or Sparrowhawk, but i'd be interested to hear from anyone who knows about these things.  No Spring migrants and no winter reminants - that rare time of the year when it's a case of 'residents only'...well that's what I thought until I happened upon 150+ Fieldfare and 30+ Redwing feeding on the pasture just south east of Kiln Barn Farm!

No comments: