Wednesday 12 January 2011

Wednesday 12th January 2011


A quick scan of the corner orchard at East Malling Research on my way into work turned up 5x Brambling, mostly washing and drinking from the puddles on the dirt track, but a couple flew up to the trees giving a brief opportunity to get a snap...again in abysmal light conditions.

Just before lunch I saw Eddie scanning the orchards, he'd had no luck with Waxwings but hopefully he managed a Brambling.  As much as I've loved scanning that corner orchard the last few days I felt I needed a change of scenery and so hitched a lift to Bradbourne Lake at lunchtime.  Nothing out of the ordinary there but it made a refreshing change to see some of the regular birds without feeling any pressure to search for Waxwings.  The lake held all the usual suspects; 43x Canada Geese, 47 Coots, 7x Moorhen, 9x Mallard and 3x lingering Shoveler (1 drake, 2 ducks).  On land, a Grey Heron appeared irriated by my intrusion and took flight landing on the wall of the Hatton Fruit Garden, only to be irritated by a couple of Magpie.  A Green Woodpecker, 2x Jay, Mistle Thrush, Goldcrest, Pied Wagtail and 20+ Redwing, feeding on the lawn of the House all added some interest.

3 comments:

Warren Baker said...

47 Coots!! I havn't seen 47 here cumulatively in the ten years of watching my patch!!

Ken. said...

Hi Adam.
Again, a nice Brambling photo.

Simon said...

Like the Brambling photo alot!!!