Sunday 19 August 2007

Friday 17th August

A couple of Chiffchaffs were seen flycatching off the fence by the Pea Field this morning, initially I thought I'd got another family of flycatchers! Quite a chill in the air and carpets of fallen acorns (green), brought down by the wind made it feel very autumnal. A GS Woodpecker made a brief appearance by the underpass as did a Jay, 2 birds I've not seen on the walk-in for about 4 weeks now. Only 1 Swallow was seen in the cattle field, although the House Martin numbers were still in double figures.

It ended up being a nice evening so I decided to walk back home from work, after only seeing 1 Swallow this morning I was suprised to see a swarm of them flying round the cattle on the way back...30+. Occasionally then entered the higher tier of House Martins who were flocking in similar numbers.

The Barn Owls at Teston were a no show, although I was only down the riverbank from 21:00-21:30. I met one of the Country Park wardens locking up as I arrived and he told me one had been seen earlier hunting over the marsh area by Teston Lock at 06:30 earlier in the week.

No comments: